[Zope] Advice on Blob Storage?

Michael McFadden mcfaddenm at rfa.org
Wed Sep 30 01:11:10 CEST 2015

On 09/24/2015 02:52 AM, Tom Russell wrote:

> Mike,
>
> First of all, kudos on your candor and being willing to share your "hack"
> (storage.py).
Thanks.  I'm humbly getting things done without a lot of python
knowledge and no zope experience.  I wouldn't recommend this approach to
anyone, it's just some cowboy hacking.

> My 1st thought is, why don't you create a content type and store it in the
> ZODB at the time the video is uploaded? The type would include the video
> metadata (vanilla RSS, Dublin Core, etc) and a link to the off-site content.
> Much more helpful than a "not here" message, yeah?
Yep, the content type is created - it's just the file field that has the
odd storage.  All other fields are normal.

> Secondly, I'm wondering why you're using SQL. Is it to interface with legacy
> system(s)? But that's probably just my purist streak talking. :-)
Relstorage for load balancing and replication.  that's about it.   I
inherited the setup (yeah, I know, bad excuse).  But Rethinking a
Data.fs solution to the problem is probably not going to help anyway.

> IIRC, there are hooks in Zope like "manage_before_save()", "...after_save",
> etc. This would be ideal, as you could strip the blob from the request before
> doing an insert. Yeah?
I'm going to look into this stuff.
I stumbled on some docs that hinted you could call 'pack()' directly on
a single piece of storage, but I've yet to find them again.  This might
be a solution.

> Anyway, sorry I can't be more help w/ the specifics of your installation.
No worries.  Happy to get a reply.

--
Mike McFadden
Radio Free Asia

This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this transmission in error, please contact network at rfa.org.