[Zope] Zope 4 migration

Jürgen Gmach juergen.gmach at apis.de
Wed Dec 11 13:47:13 CET 2019

Hi Michael,

we are all in the same boat with migrating old projects.

Although there is some pain, I am very happy that Zope is kept alive. Imagine you had to rewrite all Zope based applications from scratch.

There was an enormous effort from both the Zope and the Plone community to port it to Python 3.

In Python 2 you would use the `virtualenv` command to create a virtual environment
https://virtualenv.pypa.io/en/latest/

And yes, you can deploy Zope on Python 2 with buildout - that's how I run my app currently.

>I managed to install Zope 4 using pip and get an instance running with
>runwsgi. Now I am wondering how to stop it? How am I supposed to stop a
>running instance? There seems to be no command and no option in the GUI.

So, how did you start Zope?

As an advice - this list ist extremely low traffic, and I do not know how many Zope developers still read it.

There are two places where you usually get answers:
Either visit the Plone forum https://community.plone.org/ -> tag your question with "Zope"
or directly ask a question at github, for Zope e.g. https://github.com/zopefoundation/Zope
or concerning your other question about zodbupdate at https://github.com/zopefoundation/zodbupdate

I'd go for the community forum first (except you think you found a bug).

Best,
Jürgen