[Zope] Zope 4 migration

Michael Howitz icemac at gmx.net
Fri Dec 13 07:46:29 CET 2019

Am 12.12.2019 um 10:22 schrieb Michael Brunnbauer <brunni at netestate.de>:
[…]
> Thank you very much for your help. I have some reservations about installing
> Products.TemporaryFolder.

You seem only to need ZODBMountPoint. But maybe you do not use server side sessions so you can live without TemporaryFolder which needs ZODBMountPoint to mount the temporary folder.
There is https://github.com/zopefoundation/Products.TemporaryFolder/issues/12 to extract ZODBMountPoint into its own package. Feel free to comment there if you actually need ZODBMountPoint without TemporaryFolder.

> See here:
>
> https://pypi.org/project/Products.Sessions/
>
> "The default session support under Zope 2 relied on Products.TemporaryFolder
>  for storing session data, which in turn used the tempstorage package.
>  tempstorage is no longer recommended because it has unfixed and possibly
>  unfixable issues under Zope 4 that lead to corrupted temporary storages.“

This is only the case when using tempstorage, a RAM based storage implementation.
You could also configure an additional ZODB for the server side session data and mount it instead of using Products.TemporaryFolder.
This makes server side sessions persistent between restarts.

> Also, for me this means installing 8 Products after installing Zope with pip:
> Sessions, ExternalMethod, PythonScripts, ZSQLMethods, ZMySQLDA, MailHost,
> TemporaryFolder, SiteErrorLog.

That’s right, some Products were part of Zope2 or install dependencies.
Zope 4 is a but more lightweight. So you have to install the Products you need.

> Would the standard zc.buildout install already contain some of those?

No, you have to add them to buildout.cfg.

> I somehow got attached to the pip way over the years but maybe I should
> really switch.

If you know how to use pip: It’s okay to use it.
I personally find Buildout more convenient.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Michael Howitz