[Zope] ExtFile/ExtImage compatibility with Zope 4/5?

Jens Vagelpohl jens at netz.ooo
Tue Mar 30 07:28:17 GMT 2021

Hi Jesus,

> On 29. Mar 2021, at 19:45 , Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:
>
> On 29/3/21 18:04, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> I don’t know anything about ExtFile/ExtImage specifically, the only reference I was able to find is from old.zope.org and no one has touched it since 2007. It looks like there is no support.
>
> Now the problem is... licensing. The project seems dead for 15 years but I don't see a license files in <https://old.zope.org/Members/shh/ExtFile/>. The readme says ZPL, but not version is listed. Is ZPL still a thing?
>
> The original old code in <https://old.zope.org/Members/MacGregor/ExtFile/> seems to have a MIT-like license.

The last release (2.0.2) claims that the license is a ZPL, which is definitely “still a thing”. All 350+ packages in the zopefoundation GitHub organization are licensed under the ZPL, which is still an OSI-certified open source license. The current version is 2.1.

The main issue I see in ExtFile is the lack of documentation how the license and copyright switch was done. In order to be considered for inclusion in the zopefoundation organization projects - if that’s your goal - some proof like a written statement of agreement to the license and copyright change from Gregor would be mandatory, and then written proof that Stefan Holek agrees to transfer copyright to the Plone Foundation. The rest, like the lack of an actual license file, is cosmetics and easily fixed.

If those hurdles are too high no one can prevent you from creating a private fork and distributing it yourself, as long as you abide by the existing copyright and licensing provisions.

jens