[Zope3-Users] zope.org SVN Sandbox area created for contributors

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Thu Nov 18 14:25:55 EST 2004

SUMMARY:
The Zope.org Subversion repository now has a sandbox area for
collaboration by contributors.  This area has no constraints for
checkins except those listed in the contributors agreement, and is
intended to promote experimentation and easy, quick sharing.

Details and how-to are below.

DETAILS:
After the discussion of demo packages
(http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2004-November/012739.html)
and the constraints Jim mentioned for full-fledged inclusion in the
Zope 3 repository
(http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2004-November/012740.html),
we have set up a SVN sandbox for easy collaboration on prototypes and
other experimentation by Zope contributors: /repos/main/Sandbox.

This lowers the bar for sharing significantly.  The demos discussed in
the thread above could be checked in without further modification, for
instance.  If they are modified to meet the standards for inclusion in
the Zope 3 repository, development should move to the Zope 3
repository, or, for large or stand-alone efforts, to their own
top-level project.

The genesis of the sandbox came from Zope 3; however, developers using
Zope 2 should not feel left out.  Zope 2 development is also welcome to
use the Sandbox area.

Please see Jim's README in the top of the sandbox for his guidelines on
use of the area:
http://svn.zope.org/Sandbox/README.txt?rev=28473&view=auto

HOW TO:
If you are a contributor who wants to set up your corner of the
sandbox, you'll want to make a directory there:
svn mkdir -m "<checkin message>" svn+ssh://<zope.org user
name>@svn.zope.org/repos/main/Sandbox/<your new sandbox name>

Replace the <checkin message>, <zope.org user name>, and <your new
sandbox name>.  The sandbox name should have your name in it, the name
of your project in it, or both.  For instance, my command was
svn mkdir -m "Making my corner of the sandbox"
svn+ssh://poster@svn.zope.org/repos/main/Sandbox/poster

Subversion should reply with "Committed revision <number>."

Then check out your new sandbox:
svn co svn+ssh://<your user name>@svn.zope.org/repos/main/Sandbox/<your
new sandbox name> <local name on your machine for the checkout>

For instance, my command was
svn co svn+ssh://poster@svn.zope.org/repos/main/Sandbox/poster sandbox

Further Subversion information is available in the zope.org Subversion
wiki:
http://dev.zope.org/Subversion/

Please use and enjoy!

Gary