[Zope3-Users] Excellent perspectives on Component Architecture by Jeff Shell

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Dec 21 23:21:46 EST 2005

Wade Leftwich wrote:
> Jeff Shell has written a couple of really good essays in his weblog:
> http://griddlenoise.blogspot.com/2005/12/zope-component-architecture-one-way-to.html
> http://griddlenoise.blogspot.com/2005/12/zope-component-architecture-interfaces.html
>
> I haven't seen these posts mentioned on this mailing list yet, and they
> have been super helpful to me, so I hope it's ok with Jeff that I draw
> attention to them.
>
> Jeff's essays have really helped me get a handle on how it all fits
> together (over and above both very good Z3 books). They are also very
> useful in discussions with my coworkers and a semi-technical manager,
> who keep asking "Why don't we do it in [Django|TurboGears|RoR|PHP]?"

And thank you for pointing out the essays.

I have a bunch of coworkers who have coded in Java for a long time and
are ready to branch out.  They're trying out Python, Ruby, C#, etc.
They want to develop web applications quickly while preserving
maintainability.  I think the best way for them to do that is to use Zope 3.

Unfortunately, other frameworks like RoR have a big marketing advantage
over Zope 3 in that they don't use XML configuration files.  That is the
one of the major features that attract developers to the new frameworks.
  Even if Zope 3 is technically right to use ZCML, I find it hard to
convince people to try yet another XML configuration format, especially
since I've had a lot of trouble with ZCML myself.

So it's very refreshing to see Zope 3 without ZCML.  I hope the trend
continues.

Shane