[Zope3-Users] Re: Zope 3 Developer's Handbook

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Feb 4 13:10:59 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I just wanted to let you all know that the first book covering Zope 3 hit the
> shelves yesterday. It is called the "Zope 3 Developer's Handbook" and was
> published by Sams' Developer's Library.
>
> Link to Sams Web-Site:
> http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672326175
>
> Link to amazon.com:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/0672326175
>
> There is also an online version at: http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/Zope3Book
> However, I did not yet have the time to transfer the editions made by Sams
> back to the online version. This will happen in the next months though.

Congratulations, Stephan! I can't wait to hold a copy in my hands! It's
quite an accomplishment publishing this book only few months after X3.0
has been released and I know how much pain you must have had rewriting
it every three months or so because Z3 got refactored ;). I also know
how much work writing a book is, especially when it's about a complex
piece of software such as Zope.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that a
second, complementary book on Z3 written by myself and targeted towards
the non-experienced Zope3 developer (such as Zope 2 convertees) is going
to be available in about a month (Springer, the publishing company, says
around March 10). So, watch out for those Amazon bundles! :)

With Jim's sprint oriented ProgrammerTutorial, the developer oriented
Developer Handbook and a beginner oriented book -- not to mention
excellent source code documentation --, Zope 3 is now unlikely to suffer
from a lack of documentation like Zope 2 did before the first Zope book
was finally published in 2001. Especially in this difficult time of
wanting to migrate sooner or later, having good documentation is the
best way of lowering the barrier.

Anyway, Stephan, keep up the good work. X3.0 wouldn't be there without
you and neither would this tremendous documentation effort.

Philipp