[Zope3-Users] HTTP Post Request Handling

John Smith jsmith030416 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 16 20:10:24 EDT 2005

Dear All,

I hope I have the right mailing list. Perhaps someone
can help me with a fairly basic question.

When I used Zope 2, I used the following idiom for
form submission.

Send http POST to Script(Python) or External Method,
which would then return a ZPT like this:
return context.myZPT(arg1=xyz, arg2=abc, etcetera). In
the ZPT, I could then access arg1, arg2 via the
'options' TAL name.

Now, I am getting along OK with Zope3. I understand
that the basic TAL namespaces available in a ZPT are
view, request and context.

As far as I can tell from documentation and examples,
POST requests are handled by the
self.request.response.redirect idiom. My problem with
this method is that it causes the instantiation of a
new view component, so I cannot hold state with the
'view'.

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me how I
can pass arguments to the rendered page template. I do
not wish to set attributes on the content/context
object as the form values from the POST request are
specific to the request. so I cannot hold state with
the 'context'.

I don't want to use cookies as the form has to work in
environments where cookies are disabled.

I tried searching the interface specification for
'request' to see if there was an analogue of the Zope2
request.setAttribute function, but could not find one.

Any help greatly appreciated,

thanks,

John.