[Zope3-Users] Question/Problem with UserPreferences

Thu Jun 9 12:44:16 EDT 2005

Hello,
I try to use the User Preference API.

I've defined a Interface:

class IUserSettings(Interface):
    email = TextLine(
                title = u"E-mail Address")

and registered it in my configure.zcml:

    <preferenceGroup
        id="UserSettings"
        title="Basic User Settings"
        schema=".interfaces.IUserSettings"
    />

First question: What happens if two configure.zcml files register a preference
group with the same name?

When I go to http://localhost:8080/++preferences++ I see a page which - amoung
others - displays my preferencce group.
http://localhost:8080/++preferences++/UserSettings displays only my group.

I try to use the value of email in a ZPT:

      E-Mail: <span tal:replace="++preferences++/UserSettings/email" />

or

      E-Mail: <span tal:replace="++preferences++UserSettings/email" />

both give this traceback:

PTRuntimeError: ['Compilation failed', 'zope.tal.taldefs.TALError: Invalid
variable name "email" in expression \'++preferences++UserSettings/email\', at
line 6, column 15']

What is wrong there?

Thanks,

Florian