[Zope3-Users] Re: Zope 3.1.0 & Zope3 Developer's Book

Alec Munro alecmunro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 14:05:52 EDT 2005

On 6/18/05, Stephan Richter <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:
> On Saturday 18 June 2005 15:19, Corey wrote:
> > Question: with all these new changes since 3.0 ( which all look very good!
> > ), approximately how much of the Zope3 Dev Book becomes
> > misleading/incorrect/obsolete? Primarily I'm wondering whether it is still
> > possible to use the Zope3 dev book , follow along with it's
> > examples/excersises without constantly running into troubles?
>
> Yeah, I think that most of it will still work just fine. I think someone
> reported that step 7 or 8 of the messageboard product was still working on
> the trunk, which is impressive. Before the final release I will take some
> time and make sure that all the packages will still work without
> modification.
>
> > Right off the bat, I can see that the stuff on Services will be a point of
> > hassle and confusion for many people starting off w/ Zope 3.1 and the
> > current Zope3 dev guide.
>
> Right, this cannot be avoided. But I already talk very little about services
> in the book.
>
> > Are there prospective plans to keep the book updated with the releases, or
> > are there simply not enough resources/time available at this point to do
> > so?
>
> I am not sure how much time I will have. I am very booked till school starts
> again. I would need at least a week to get everything updated, not to mention
> covering new features.
>
> Regards,
> Stephan
> --
> Stephan Richter
> CBU Physics & Chemistry (B.S.) / Tufts Physics (Ph.D. student)
> Web2k - Web Software Design, Development and Training

I would be very interested in attempting to provide an update to the
book, to cover new features in 3.1. I still have a lot to learn, but I
thought that perhaps it would be helpful to pick a section in the book
that has changed (for example, I believe Chapter 20, on workflow), and
attempt to document the appropriate way to handle it in 3.1. As I
said, I do have a lot to learn, but as long as someone points me in
the right direction, I would feel comfortable attempting this.

Is this something that would be helpful?

Alec