[Zope3-Users] Zemantic 0.5 released

Michel Pelletier michel at dialnetwork.com
Mon Mar 21 04:42:27 EST 2005

While the majority of the Paris sprinters were working on the 2.8/Five
integration, Tres Seaver, Tarek Zaide and I worked to improve Zemantic.  I am
very happy to annouce the 0.5 release based on this great week of work can be
found on the zemantic web site:

http://zemantic.org/

Zemantic is a semantic web catalog for Zope 3.  It takes RDF data from any
source, local or remote, linearizes it into "statments" (also called
"triples"), and indexes those statements in three dimensions, so that any
subject, predicate or object in the statements can be quickly searched for.
More information and links to semantic web technology can be found on the
zemantic web page.

At the sprint our focus was to improve access for other developers to use
Zemantic.  We set out from the beginning therefore to integrate Zemantic into
a real-world application.  The application we chose was CPS web mail, which
is also based on Five (and now, Zope 2.8).   I am happy to report that our
experiment was  a total success, CPS web mail now uses Zemantic as its core
search engine, completely replacing the ZCatalog.

Some of the new things in Zemantic are:

  - Full text indexing of RDF literals.  While this is not the final word by
any means on indexing RDF in different ways, it's a great start.

  - More tests that are much better at flexing the core of Zemantic.  Tres and
Tarek in particular wrote many tests.

  - Tres spend the first day of the sprint making Zemantic a disutils package,
making installation much easier.

  - Some documentation improvements were made, although there is still a lot
of room for improvement.

Some future goals we brainstormed at the sprint:

  - Pluggable query languages: interfaces to plug the many RDF query languages
into Zemantic.  For starters, there is currently a Sparql implementation
written in Python that I am looking at integrating.

  - More configurable indexing.  In addition to indexing the RDF graph
structure,  Zemantic indexes all text literals, but this is possibly overkill
and not very configurable.   Zemantic also applies no interpretation to the
RDF data, so it cannot interpret (and therefore index specially) object value
data like dates.  A more flexible index layer on top of Zemantic could be
used to specify special indexing, probably based on the predicate or some
other kind of pluggable rules.

  - Integrating Zemantic with natural language processors like NLTK, so that
RDF data can be extracted from unstructured textual documents.

This is only the beginning, I have great confidence in both Zope 3 and the
semantic web, and I think that 2005 will be the year of both.  The Paris
sprint has been a great success, and I'd really like to thank everyone who
participated and particularly Nuxeo for making it happen!

-Michel