[Zope3-Users] Re: Using metadata for description

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed May 4 02:40:13 EDT 2005

Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to allow the user to give items a short description, like for a link:
>
> Name: Zope
>
> Is it wise to use the metadata description field for that purpose or
> should I just add a TextLine attribute to the interface.

If this "description" has little or nothing to do with the actual item,
but is only there for categorizing it or similar, I'd use the DublinCore
'description' field.

> If it's good to use metadata: How can I directly use metadata from ZPTs?

Through the 'zope' TALES namespace, e.g. obj/zope:description. Not all
DublinCore metadata is available through that, though. See
zope.tales.interfaces.ITALESFunctionNamespace for a list of available names.

Philipp