[Zope3-Users] Custom addform and object creation error

Cliff Ford Cliff.Ford at ed.ac.uk
Wed May 4 02:50:15 EDT 2005

Hello Reuben,

I can't say anything about archetypes because I have not used Plone.
However, I can summarise some of my learning experience over the last
month. Firstly, I initially created a number of custom Edit forms, each
with a supporing class. My main requirement was to have a "Close" button
to close the form and take the user to a well-defined view. I eventually
discovered that I only needed one custom Edit form and no supporting
classes - it was all a matter of configuration.

Second, I do have one content type that needs a custom edit form. It is
a custom menu constructed from a list of lists [[],[],[]] that allows
users to add and delete items, change order, and set the link text and
tool tip. I can't remember how I started this form, but it looks as
though I replaced almost all of the content of the standard edit page
template. At the top of the form template I have this:

<h3>Edit Menu: </h3>

<pre tal:content="python:view.update(context, request.form)"
tal:condition="request/form">Update Message</pre>

The last statement just calls the custom Class update method if the
request contains the form (i.e, the form has been submitted). On
reflection, I think I would now try to use more of the Zope framework -
by just replacing the widget_rows macro call (only just thought of
that!). To use the form it is declared in browser/configure.zcml:

   <editform
       schema="glgsite.interfaces.IGlgMenu"
       for="glgsite.interfaces.IGlgMenu"
       label="Edit Menu"
       fields="menulist"
       name="editmenu.html"
       permission="zope.ManageContent"
       menu="zmi_views" title="Edit"
       template="menuform.pt"
       class=".menuform.MenuForm" />

menulist is the list of lists. The support class (MenuForm) update
method adds, deletes and re-orders items before saving them back into
menulist. The support class also has another method to list items that
are not in the list, called like this:

which reminds me I forgot to mention that the form iterates over the
list with this:

from which the sublist elements are obtained as "python:item[0]".

To call the form there needs to be a link that references the view of
the menu object. For example, if the current view is a "page" the link
looks like this: ../menu/@@editmenu.html because menu is a child of the
parent (folder) of page.

Is that enough? Reviewing my post below, I decided not to collect Dublin
Core metadata with object creation data because the extra form fields
are not passed to the createAndAdd method. Instead, I decided to
redirect to the Metadata form.

Another configuration example:

   <editform
       schema="zope.app.dublincore.interfaces.IZopeDublinCore"
       for="glgsite.interfaces.IGlgPage"
       label="Edit Page Title and Description"
       name="editpagedc.html"
       template="editpage.pt"
       fields="title description"
       permission="zope.ManageContent"
       menu="zmi_views" title="Metadata"
       />

This could potentially collect all Dublin Core metadata using my custom
Edit template (with Close button) but is restricted to the title and
description fields and does not need a custom support class. It is
called with a link of the form ../menu/@@editpagedc.html (this was one
of the cases where I thought a custom form needed a custom class and
found that it did not if configured correctly).

Cliff