[Zope3-Users] at sea with basic setup

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Nov 5 13:58:05 EST 2005

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 09:25:45AM -0800, Tim Cook wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 19:32 -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > I'd like to create some users, set authentication methods, and so on.
> > After a lot of fooling around with the GUI and looking at various
> > docs, I conclude I have no idea what's going on.

> > I'd appreciate some pointers.
>
> Best tip is to read this:
> http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FrontPage/Zope3Book

I looked at it, but the info on setup is limited.  It tells how to
install zope, but not really how to setup the instance, especially
through the interface.  E.g., p. 92 says it assumes you have created
principal.zcml, but I don't really see anything about what should go
in it.  Further, the security framework appears to have been
overhauled since the book was written (probably not in a way that
affects what's in the book).

I've found statements about the different components of the security
framework, a reference to a default security policy, and info about
how to code security.  There's even info on how to write new types of
authenticators.

What I haven't found is info on the format of the principals file
(though what's there provides lots of clues), how or if different
credentials and authentication methods can be set via the ZMI, whether
I need to create a site management folder, what to do with the options
on the site management tab, whether I need to create user folders...

Somewhere, maybe the Zope3 Dev Handbook, I saw a statement that user
names needed a period.  I'm not sure if that's true, since it's not
mentioned elsewhere and my admin user doesn't have a period in the
name and I can login as admin.

Basically, I'm looking for a site administrator's guide or equivalent
information.