[Zope3-Users] need guidance

Duncan McGreggor duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 14:33:06 EST 2005

On Nov 30, 2005, at 12:13 PM, Brad Allen wrote:

>> Hmm, again, I think you *might* want to stay away from an approach
>> that interacts directly with the ZODB. Unless you're not using
>> z3/Zope 2...
>
> I didn't see this posting until after I started a new thread called
> "Direct ZODB access in a Zope3 instance". So, why is it a bad
> idea?

Well, it's a great idea if your application is non-zope python with a
need for "versioned" storage.

It's not such a good idea if your application is a zope app because
those app servers do so much of the work for you, with many years of
honing put into them.

The best thing to do is learn how to use the app server/framework such
that your work is minimized (both short- and long-term) and such that
the final product is a stable as possible (building on prior, tested,
and proven work).

Direct access in a z3 app is usually made for debugging purposes, and
used with the pdb, can be very effective for hunting down and solving
issues.

As per your other email, the reason you had problems was because your
z3 instance was already running. If you are not using ZEO, you need to
stop z3 in order to gain access to the ZODB.

Have you seen Benji's quick start guide? In addition to Stephan
Richter's book, you ought to read Philipp von Weitershausen's book too.
As of zope3.1, it's a little out of date, but only in a few areas. The
conceptual explanations and careful, hands-on, examples-based approach
is pure gold. His and Stephan's book are the perfect couple ;-)

Links:
   http://worldcookery.com/ (Philipp's book is here)
   http://www.benjiyork.com/quick_start/

In addition, I've written a python script that auto-generates a starter
z3 project for you, after asking a couple questions. If you want to use
it, I'd be more than willing to answer any questions about it (an thus
improve it) off-list. You can download it here:
   http://www.zope.org/Members/adytumsolutions/z3project_starter

I'll got back to your original post and try to do a better job of
answering your questions.