[Zope3-Users] content object migration (was: need guidance)

Duncan McGreggor duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:05:01 EST 2005

On Nov 30, 2005, at 12:49 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:

> As we move towards another iteration, if I need to, while I'm writing
> code, I write evolution scripts that are capable of fixing ZODB data
> in place between milestone revisions of code.  I happen to know
> exactly when I need to do this, because I've been working with ZODB
> for many years.  Other developers working with me do the same.

Awesome email, Chris -- thanks for sharing!

In particular, I am tantalized by the paragraph above ;-) As I alluded
in a previous post, this has been a very painful point for myself an
other developers with whom I have worked. For one client, we used the
CMFPlone.MigrationTool on a Zope2/Plone project where content addition
was occurring throughout the development phase. I found the tool
cumbersome and the whole process most painful and distasteful.

Do you employ an analogous tool or elegant manual approach for z3
projects? If you have no tool, have you guys compiled a best practices
doc (informal or otherwise) whereby those of us inexperienced in these
particulars could benefit?

Thanks!