[Zope3-Users] worldcookery "Christmas Dinner"

Joel Moxley jfmoxley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 16:36:35 EDT 2005

Hello yall,

I'm a python guy who wanted to provide an interface for some
baseball-related code to the web, so I naturally turned to Zope. I fumbled
around for a while, but Philipp and Stephan's books got me on the right
track.

Philipp's book has been wonderful for learning Zope from scratch, I've read
and re-read the first fourteen chapters (ie, everything but "Expert" stuff).
In doing so, I created my own "worldcookery-esque" content management
system.

However, there are two significant holes in my knowledge that I want to
address: 1) integrating buttons to run "controller" style scripts to
tabulate and display statistics about multiple content objects, and 2)
displaying nested content objects.

For those of yall familiar with the worldcookery scheme, I wanted to do
something along the lines of a "Christmas Dinner". This would be a new
content object, RecipeContainer, which contains the "turkey" recipe, the
"sweet potato" recipe, and the "cornbread" recipe content objects. You would
have a page template for displaying all the recipe content objects on a
single page (preferably with minimize/maximize capabilities), an add/remove
dialog for existing recipes in the database, and a button for accessing an
external python script to compile and display statistics (like what would be
the total time to prepare all dishes).

In other words, a user might decide to also cook cornbread for Christmas
dinner. Thus, the user would add a recipe for cornbread in the regular Add
Recipe view. The user would then go to the ChristmasDinner RecipeContainer
content object where they would select the cornbread recipe object from a
dialog containing a list of possible recipes. The user would then press a
button to access an external python script which would calculate the
expected time that cooking Christmas dinner with cornbread in addition to
the turkey and sweet potato. This expected time (and other statistics) would
be displayed on the ChristmasDinner view along with the recipes.

Right now, I'm looking at Stephan's book and the messageboard scheme to get
ideas (ie, message content objects inside the messageboard), but I wanted to
get input from yall about the best ways to do this. I realize this will
probably seem obvious, but I am a true beginner in the scheme of things, and
I'm hoping that my experience might help extend the worldcookery teaching
paradigm.

Many thanks, and go Zope 3!

Joel