[Zope3-Users] Zwiki issues with Unicode text pasted from Word

Joel Moxley jfmoxley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 09:32:58 EDT 2005

Thank you Duncan and Gary for your informative replies yesterday.  I'm
working on understanding and implementing your input.

In the meantime, I'm having an issue with my zwiki.  I checked on
google, and I do not find this as a known issue.  I have not had time
to extensively document the behavior, but I can report the following:

My zwiki page bombed (System Error) when a user copied and pasted a
paragraph from Microsoft Word into the edit form of the wiki page.
After some quick debugging, I found two unicode characters to be the
problem:

Unicode characters 2103 and 2019 ("right single quotation mark" and
"en dash", respectively).

Thus, whenever we have apostrophes and dashes in Word, they will kill
the wiki page when copied in the edit form.  Which is suboptimal :)

I pasted the traceback here:
http://paste.plone.org/289

which culminates in "UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode
character u'\u2013' in
position 4104: ordinal not in range(128)"

Clearly, the wiki just does not know how to encode these characters.
Anyways, a workaround or fix would be very nice because one of the
main reason I wanted the wiki was to not have to deal with revisions
in Word.

Thanks,
Joel

PS: This is zope-3.1final and zwiki-3.0.0