[Zope3-Users] Adapting multiple times

Frank Burkhardt fbo2 at gmx.net
Wed Apr 5 03:11:12 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:59:19AM +0200, Michael Howitz wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 05.04.2006, 08:48 +0200 schrieb Frank Burkhardt:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got objects implementing interface
> >
> >  IMyObject
> >
> > and two adapters:
> >
> >  IMyObject -> ISearchable
> >  ISearchable -> ISearchableEN
> >
> > I would like to use a TextIndex to do fulltext search on objects
> > implementing ISearchableEN .
> > Unfortunately this doesn't work. The TextIndex tries something
> > like this to adapt an object to the given interface:
> >
> >  ISearchableEN(myobject)
> >
> > Which fails ("Unable to adapt") because there is no adapter
> > "IMyObject -> ISearchableEN" and Zope doesn't try to adapt multiple
> > times ( IMyObject -> ISearchable -> ISearchableEN ).
> >
> > Does anyone have an Idea how to do this or do I have to modify
> > the TextIndex?
>
> Idea: Write an adater which Adapts IMyObject to ISearchableEN. This
> Adapter can be a function which only does the adaption chain and returns
> the Adapter to ISearchableEn adapter.

Thank you for the quick response. Problem ist: there is not just ISearchableEN
but one interface like that per supported language (~ 10 languages supported).
I expect to write at least 20 content object types. It just doesn't scale.

Doing the adaption chain manually in a modified TextIndex is the only
alternative, if Zope is not able to do it automatically.

Thank you,

Frank