[Zope3-Users] Re: Traversal Tricks (now Seeking Tutorial on Namespaces)

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Wed Apr 5 10:32:58 EDT 2006

jürgen Kartnaller wrote:
> Jeff Rush wrote:
>
>>I need control over which namespace is searched, so I added a couple of
>>generic TALES namespace adapters.  Now I can do:
>>
>>  <h1 tal:content="context/attribute:name" />
>

> How about :
> <h1 tal:content="context/++attribute++name" />
>
>>to -only- search for a name attribute, and (less frequently):
>>
>>  <h1 tal:content="context/item:ABC123" />
>

> <h1 tal:content="context/++item++ABC123" />

Thanks, Jürgen, I was unaware of those.  I didn't see them in either of
the Zope books nor the ++apidoc++ subsystem.

Now I'm a bit confused -- there seem to be 'publication namespaces' e,g.
'++resource++<name>', and 'TALES namespaces' e.g. 'zope:<name>', and the
publication namespaces leak into the TALES namespaces i.e. are accessible as
shown by your examples, but I'm unsure if the TALES namespaces in turn leak
into the publication namespaces.

And then it appears (publication?) namespaces are classified into several
flavors, 'adapter namespaces', 'view namespaces'. and 'pluggable namespaces'.

I've looked for a restructured text doc in the Zope3 source tree that covers
namespaces in a comprehensive way but haven't found it yet.  We need one in
the zope/app/traversing directory.

-Jeff