[Zope3-Users] zope 3 book - is it still meaningful ?

Andreas Reuleaux reuleaux at web.de
Fri Aug 25 19:07:54 EDT 2006

Yes, it is still a very valuable text, Stephan just has plenty of
other things to do and hasn't found the time to update the book (he
can tell you better if and when there will be an update). But this is
a general problem of computer texts: It takes some effort to keep them
up to date.

Note that this is still Stephans book, not a book written by the Zope
3 community (don't know if he would be interested in having more
people maintain the book).

You might want to read Stephans book in parallel with Philipps book
and find out which suits you better in which area. (Note that Philipps
is preparing a second edition of his book)

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 12:07:56AM +0200, catonano wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I'm trying to follow the Zope 3, precisely the part that you can find
> at http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/Zope3Book/contentobject.html.
>
> it shows how to create new content type components ( a message board
> type and a message type)
>
> All the source code files are downloadable from the svn, so you can
> try , following the instructions in the book.
>
> The book is quite old ! In the svn I see it's been edited last time in 2004
> !
>
> In chapter 13, paragraph 6, there's this sentence:
>

> " ... There is a script called test.py that will run all or only
> specified tests for you. To run the test against your implementation,
> execute the following line from the Zope 3 root directory:
>
> 1  python2.3 test.py -vpu --dir src/book/messageboard ..."
>

> Well, is there a test.py file ? I can't find it !

"...from the Zope 3 root directory" means:

   $ svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope3/trunk z3
   $ cd z3
   $ python2.4 ./test.py ...

I. e. test.py is in the checkout of Zope 3, not of the example

-Andreas