[Zope3-Users] Please Guido, pick me, pick me!

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Feb 2 07:57:23 EST 2006

Stefane Fermigier wrote:

>Wade Leftwich wrote:
>

>>Guido van Rossum is looking for a web app framework.
>>
>>http://blog.delaguardia.com.mx/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=34&blogId=1
>>
>>Zope is conspicuous by its absence from the discussion. Hardly a
>>mention, and no advocacy at all.  Is Zope just too heavyweight for the
>>project he has in mind? Or what?
>>

>I don't think the point is trying to convince guido to use Zope for his
>pet project, the point is global advocacy:
>
>- Guido's word is considered gospel by many people (in that occurrence,
>I must confess that I have been profoundly disappointed by his attitude
>- his utter and a priori rejection of XML for a template language, that
>will be used 95% for the time to produce (X)HTML and the 5% remaining
>other variant of XML, with all that it implies in terms of validation,
>etc. is plainly stupid).
>
>- Like you noticed, Zope quasi-absence from the discussion is suspicious.
>
>Lennart did a reply on his blog
>(http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/lennart_regebro/2006_02_01_guido-webframeworks).
>
>Anyway, I'm saddened by both the quasi-absence of the Zope community in
>this debate, and also the badmouthing of Zope (even sometimes, the
>hatred) by some Python developpers taking part in the discussion.
>
>There are, however, some constructive remarks like Ian Bicking's:
>http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/lennart_regebro/2006_02_01_guido-webframeworks?post_id=if-mohammed-won-t-come
>
>  S.

I think this has to do with python being used both as a scripting
language and as a language to create high-level components. There will
always be a category of users looking for quick-and-dirty templating
capabilities in web frameworks and others looking for more abstract
components that address issues from a more abstract and certainly more
complex perspective.

In zope itself level the same opposition can be found between
"file-system" vs "TTW python-script"-based development.

I wonder how those who criticize zope3 for being too big a framework and
too complex to understand, would figure out how to use Java-based web
application frameworks...

/JM