[Zope3-Users] Zope 3 Marketing Competition? (was Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Selecting a code name)

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Mon Feb 6 20:49:09 EST 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 5:37 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
[...]
> This is about getting people to *understand* what Zope is about, to
> understand that we *care* that they understand and that we made an
> *effort* to make it easy for them to get into it. It's about
> lowering the barrier to entry and the risk that they'll spend time
> learning something that'll turn out to be a dead end. It's about
> showing off that Zope can be sexy and knock the socks off the
> competition. It's about generating some excitement, not just a
> dreary list of technical blather.
[...]

How about we have a marketing competition? :-)

The goal would be to set a date, like end of February or end of
March, at which point everyone would submit their entries.  Entries
would be something like a one-to-three page brochure website.  We'd
vote...maybe within categories like 'marketing copy', 'layout',
'logo', and 'overall concept'.  Winners would have net fame, and we'd
put top contenders up on a zope*.org site.  Maybe we could do
something else small for the winners too?  Any ideas?

Minimal requirements to get this to happen:
- final submission date
- enough people committing to have an entry (maybe 10?  15?  I think
*everyone* potentially has something to offer here, so the numbers
would ideally be even bigger...but I won't hold my breath :-)
- someone willing to organize
- a web site to post the results to. ;-)

If the due date is in March or later, I'll volunteer to organize, if
there's enough interest and then enough commitments to enter.

That said, if someone else wanted to volunteer to organize, I'd
gladly hand the reins over.  ;-)

Is this crazy?

Gary