[Zope3-Users] Absolute url of an object

Paulus Zegwaard paulus at alive-ce.com
Fri Feb 10 17:48:23 EST 2006

Hi,

Sorry if I ask a question that is already asked a gazillion times, but I
was not able to find the obvious answer.

I'm rather new to Zope 3 and I have done a fair amount of Zope 2
development and was used to be able to create dynamic menus by iterating
over the objects in the root container (site root) and traversing all
the way down (or as far as i wanted). That was sort of easy because
every object in Zope 2 has an absolute_url method as well as a
title_or_id method.

But although I understand Zope 3 has something like that too, I'm
unclear how to achieve that every object provides an absolute_url
method. Possibly Zope 3 has a far superior way of achiving the same
goal. As a Zope 3 newbie I understand Zope 3 aims to require being
explicit, yet I did like some of the implicit behavior of Zope 2 a lot.
For instance I still think acquisition is bad by definition.. Maybe you
should be able to turn it on or off at the folder level.

A related questions is: is there an obvious way to get the site url (or
object) other then just knowing the name?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? BTW I have Stephan's book
and ordered Phillip's book but that didn't arrive yet.

Thanks

Paulus