[Zope3-Users] ZCML debugger?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Feb 13 08:48:13 EST 2006

On Sunday 12 February 2006 10:19, Roman Susi wrote:
> Could it be beneficial to have some kind of wizard which could help
> write ZCML configurations?

Sure. I think a lot of people would be happy about a tool like that. The way
ZCML is constructed should make it very easy to retrieve all needed
information, build RelaxNG schemas, etc.

> Or at least some good documentation on what is the meaning of ZCML
> constructs.

Have you looked at "http://localhost:8080/++apidoc++"? It contains a
dynamically generated ZCML documentation section. If you think that this
facility is not well-organized you could easily contribute improvements
there.

>  - what is the purpose of declaration (for example, what is the purpose
> of declaring that OFS.Folder.Folder is traversable?) (that is, pragmatics)

Note: This is a five directive, not a native Zope 3 one.

>  - what is needed to be declared (and where) to achieve certain typical
> goals (like: in order to implement View class to this Content classes,
> you need to add this to ZCML configure)

Books are for that. Both Philipp and my book explain what directives you need
in the situations presented.

> Also, someone noted that write-once principle is broken with ZCML: it's
> very verbose to at least my taste.

It is not really more verbose than Python.

> And after ABC of ZCML there lay a layer of idioms, unspoken patterns, etc.

Can you elaborate? I do not understand what you mean.