[Zope3-Users] Re: The Zope Software Certification Program and Common Repository Proposal

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Feb 20 23:16:50 EST 2006

Andrew Milton wrote:
> +-------[ Stephan Richter ]----------------------
> | Hello everyone,
> |
> | With the development of Zope 3, the Zope developers committed to a new
> | development process and higher software quality guidelines. With the adoption
> | of Zope 3 technologies in the wider Zope community, we should also start
> | using the process for third party package development.
> |
> | I have spent the last two weeks working on a proposal that defines a Zope
> | Software Certification Program (ZSCP) and a Common Repository that implements
> | this process. The proposal is attached to this mail. I welcome any comments
> | about it!
>
> So in order to even get your Open Source package LISTED, you have to sign over
> the rights of your code to Zope Corp (currently, Zope Foundation later), and then
> check it into the svn respository.
>
> Is this is correct?

No. The common repository under the wings of ZC/ZF is just *a*
repository that implements the ZSCP. There can be others, for example
the Plone repository, the collective repository (perhaps), etc.

I had earlier suggested to Stephan that we should keep the common
repository separate from ZSCP and there out of this proposal. IMO there
should be a separate proposal for the common repository. I guess he
didn't agree.

I think both the ZSCP and the common repository (in the context of the
ZF) are a great idea. We should try to have as much stuff as possible in
the common repository, but we shouldn't make the process dependent on it.

I'm therefore still suggesting to divide up the proposal.

Philipp