[Zope3-Users] Multiple sites in a single zope instance?

Tom Dossis td at yoma.com.au
Tue Feb 28 17:46:16 EST 2006

Graham Stratton wrote:
> What I want to be able to do is to simply create many 'sites' within a
> single instance.  What matters is that each site can have its own
> appearance and users (editors).
>
> Now, I'm not sure that my sites actually need to be true Zope3 sites.
> Maybe I just need to have a marker interface at the top level of each of
> my sites, and that will be enough.

Probably best to "Make a Site".  This will enable you to install utils
into each site.
This will also enable you set up resources specific to each site.  This
could be useful for your skinning requirements.

> But what I don't seem to have any
> way of doing is setting the appearance per site.  I haven't looked at
> the users problem yet.

You can install separate PAU's (Pluggable Auth. Util.) into each site to
have different user bases for each site.  Alternatively installing a PAU
into a top level site enables you to share the user base across sites.

> I could set up multiple skins, and then change the skin by using apache
> rewrite rules.  But both parts of this are quite hard and complex, and
> involve restarting both systems.  I'd like to be able to set simple
> things about the appearance TTW.  At this point I fear I'm going very
> wrong, but I'll continue anyway  ;-)

I'm guessing a little about how you want to set the "appearance TTW"...

Write a utility to manage certain site skin config. and properties.
Your skin can consult this utility to obtain appearance
parameters/objects.  Also the util. could make images/files (logo's,
css) available as resources to your skin.

regards
-Tom