[Zope3-Users] Re: Is Zope Zope2 or Zope3?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Jan 20 20:43:00 EST 2006

Hi,

I think this is very a unfortunate, and unfortunately also completely
understandable mistake. The Zope community has some great architects and
developers, but from looking at the state of zope.org, not many who are
willing or able to market the project to the wider open source community
and other potential adopters. In the long term, Zope probably does lose a
number of potential interessants, contributors, donators and developers
through this lack of marketing. Considering that we are at 3.2 already,
the argument that it's still new and exciting doesn't really hold water
anymore.

Of course, the issue isn't just the web site or one or two misinformed
journalists. Zope 3 is a well-kept secret, and with the degree of
competition in the web framework space and the amount of lip service
Ruby-on-Rails gets, for instance, I'm not sure how long it can afford to
be that. From the Plone world, we have learnt that marketing requires
dedication, time and skills that are hard to come by, but the pay-off can
be great. In fact, I'm a little surprised that Zope Corporation hasn't
taken more steps to publicise the latest and greatest framework that bears
their name (surely they must find it easier to sell solutions when people
have heard of their tool of choice - even their brand?). I truly, truly
hope the Zope Foundation will make this a priority. In the meantime, I'll
keep telling the guys at work how cool Zope 3 is every time I swear at
whatever Java thing they've put in front of me.

Martin

--
(muted)