[Zope3-Users] Re: Is Zope Zope2 or Zope3?

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Sun Jan 22 01:02:28 EST 2006

David Johnson wrote:
> This is unfortunate.  I do think Zope 3 will get the recognition it deserves
> in time.  I feel the Zope community is more focused on how it works than how
> it is marketed and this seems like the best long term approach.

Actually I think Zope3 is in danger of being rendered irrelevant by failure
to get the word out.  I was there back in the days of Bobo and
DocumentTemplate (i.e. before Zope2) and today is a very different world.
Zope3 has some serious contenders in other frameworks, and if they gain
significant mindshare, Zope3 will fade to one of those oddball frameworks
used by one guy in the back office.

Zope3 has some really cool architecture ideas, and unless the PR picture
changes, I predict it will be gutted/componentized and those good ideas used
in other frameworks.  Although that's not necessarily a bad thing, that it
cross-pollinate others, but it means Zope3 would have been just a (really
cool) R&D project, not a production framework.

In fact at this year's PyCon the Zope sprint plans to work on making the
Zope3 components more useful outside of Zope, encouraging this approach.

   http://tinyurl.com/7hvtn   (Sprint Desc on zope.org)

   "Maybe bits of Zope could be used to help write smaller applications
   than those that are well served by the application server."

That's where I'll be, since I've been experimenting with using Zope3
components to write non-web applications.

-Jeff