[Zope3-Users] Re: Anybody has answers to this? Re: Beginner looking for help...

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Sun Jan 22 02:23:44 EST 2006

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 1/20/06, Roman Susi <rnd-DwDvdEayxlE at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>>>- is there any "conception strategy" associated with Zope3 ?
>
> What is a "conception strategy"?

Sounds like he wants a architectural direction document, some kind of
document saying "we created Zope 3 for the following reasons...".  Other
than fun, of course, like what problems in Zope 2 is it trying to solve.

>>>- is there any place where I could find good and small applications
>>>samples or tutorials, notably about viewlets ?
>

> Well, you already have the Zope 3 book. There is also http://worldcookery.com/

Ah, keyword here is "viewlets".  Neither of the books discuss viewlets or
portlets.  The only real documentation I've found is within the Zope 3
source, the .txt file that both documents and provide test scenarios.

The whole model of viewlets/portlets, how to skin/theme, etc. could really
use a nice online tutorial, even though Zope 3 is currently undergoing
transition in this area.

>>>- I've understood that a Zope2 application is absolutely incompatible
>>>with Zope3, but is there any way and/or strategy to convert a Zope2
>>>application and it's database to Zope3 ?
>
> No, you currently have to rewrite the application. Zope 2 and Zope 3
> are gaining compatbility through what is known as "Five" but that's
> mostly interesting if you want to prepare to a move to Zope 3 in the
> future.

But if you wrote the Zope 2 app carefully, there are strategies to make it
easier.  Like: keep your data in an RDB, use an external CSS to factor out
presentation, use an external user authentication source like LDAP, package
your SQL queries using SQLMethods.  Just those help a lot for portability.

-Jeff