[Zope3-Users] Re: AJAX (was Uploading files)

Balazs Ree ree at ree.hu
Fri Jun 2 00:17:20 EDT 2006

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:36:59 +0200, Marco Mariani wrote:

> Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>>> Just curious... what is it about AJAX that you hate? The
>>> implementation? The concept? Something else?
>>
>> About everything. JS has no good development tools, it is impossible to
>> do decent debugging and testing. (No, I do not consider the
>> browser-based debugger and Selenium acceptable development
>> environments.)
>
> Please take into account that the next Gecko release (Firefox 3.0) will
> have agnostic DOM support, with python and friends. And for some markets,
> having one supported browser is enough.

I am sad to say but I am with Stephan on this issue. And I have also seen
projects (from a safe distance) where one supported browser was enough,
but it was IE.

Otherwise when I do javascript development I almost feel to be back in the
old days when I programmed in assembly on my ZX-Spectrum. I liked it, at
that time.

> But I guess future zope releases/modules won't make it any more
> difficult to have "exotic" front-ends, be it ajax, xul,
> the-ms-alternative-to-xul or xforms. Somebody would just write a formlib
> look-a-like.

We will certainly continue developing javascript and AJAX solutions
nevertheless all the problems, and it is also true that the largest effort
is to cut down development costs caused by the deficiencies of javascript
and browser incompatibilities.

--
Balazs Ree