[Zope3-Users] Found a (perhaps obvious) page template speedup

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Fri Jun 2 03:57:29 EDT 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Sunday 16 April 2006 15:17, Jeff Rush wrote:
>
>>I thought I was doing things the preferred way, by using the existing
>>@@standard_macros/page and filling in slots to change out selected
>>portions. It turns out that while there is a slot to disable the -display-
>>of the nav tree, there isn't one for the page header to disable the
>>-computation- of the nav tree, which is triggered from within the browser
>>via navigation_tree.js upon the body load event.
>

> I would always write a skin from scratch.

That's a lot of work, to fully cover all the needs of the ZMI, error pages
etc.  Besides, I thought one benefit of the layers facility is that you can
keep most of a skin and only implement what you want different, similar to
the idea of subclassing.  If you're going to write your skin from scratch,
you might as well keep it in one layer, it seems.  Or am I missing the
purpose of layers?

What I was aiming for was to keep the ZMI look/feel the way it is now, so I
don't have to grok all the intricacies, and then to provide a non-ZMI skin
for the customer.  It doesn't seem to work that way though.

 > Roger Ineichen has developed a set
> of minimal registrations (like error pages, etc) for a new skin. He should
> probably release that code, if he has not already.

Hmmm, sounds interesting.  I'd like to see it.  Skins needs more docs and
tutorials.

-Jeff