[Zope3-Users] i18n questions

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 10:08:44 EDT 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Friday 02 June 2006 03:52, Chris Withers wrote:
>> Stephan Richter wrote:
>>> Yes, the PO file format is totally independent of Zope and Python.
>> But with PTS, I don't need to build .mo's myself, right? ;-)
>
> I know absolutely nothing about PTS, this is a Zope 3 list.

I was telling you by way of a question...

>>> There are other
>>> interfaces for this; I believe ILanguageNegotiator.
>> Will that let me find out what the currently negotiated language is?
>
> Yes, that's the point of this API.

OK, is there example code anywhere for "tell me what zope3's i18n
currently thinks the language is"?

How about "what are all the languages that have been registered for
domain x?", although I guess that comes from a different interface,
although surely one used by ILanguageNegotiator, since anything
implementing that would need to know what all available languages are in
order to know what choices it could pick from?

>>> I do not think there is an API for that, but you could certainly develop
>>> one.
>> Where and how would I do this? I'd suggest this is an oversight in the
>> existing API's and it'd be better to add to an existing API rather than
>> come up with a new one...
>
> You can always write a proposal. But I would check the existing API first.

I will, where do proposals go nowadays?

> As I said, Zope 3 does not support TTW development, so there are no tools
> built for such a task yet, though it would not be horribly tricky.

Would you see a message catalog that recorded untranslated msgids and in
a file when they were requested as "horrible tricky"?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk