[Zope3-Users] Newbie question...

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Mar 21 18:59:20 EST 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 18:47, Thierry FLORAC wrote:
> Of course, I'm not sure to really understand the difference between this
> code and the previous one, and why this "object" inheritance is so
> important (I've always thought that every Python class was automatically
> inheriting from "object").
> So any kind of explanation would be really welcome !

First rule: Always inherit from ``object``!!!

Now the explanation. Python has the concept of old and new style classes. When
inheriting ``object``, you declare a class to be a new style class. New style
classes were introduced to allow for great new features, such as
meta-classes, descriptors, and (for you most importantly) properties. :-)