[Zope3-Users] Re: How to distribute distinct components among multiple Zope servers?

Rocky Burt rocky at serverzen.com
Wed May 17 06:35:59 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-17-05 at 10:18 +0000, Reinhold Strobl wrote:
> > I'm not a Zope expert, but to me it sounds like you want to solve a
> > problem with Zope, which it is not intended for. If you want to
> > implement complex distributed scenarios use SOAP, XML-RPC, CORBA, DCOM,
> > ... or whatever suits your needs.
> > Then you could still implement a thin Zope utility, which wraps access
> > to such an service, to allow easy access from within a Zope application.
>

> So, am I right, if Zope is mainly intended for (single) web applications and no
> distributed complex component architecture?

It sounds to me like you're trying to use Zope components in a fashion
like J2EE components are meant (but rarely ever are) to run.

J2EE will do it a little (but not much) more transparent than Zope will,
but its quite doable with Zope.  Running multiple Zope app server
instances (like you would run multiple j2ee instances) and have the
components communicate via xml-rpc (probably xml-rpc views) is pretty
close to what j2ee does to communicate between components using
RMI/CORBA.

The advantage that j2ee has in this scenario is that most of the heavy
duty j2ee implementations (weblogic, websphere, etc) support transaction
handling across distributed components in a very flexible manner.  It
may be doable to construct something similar with Zope but I've not
tried.

- Rocky

--
Rocky Burt