[Zope3-Users] Re: UnicodeEncodeErrors from zope/app/maildir.py

Rupert Redington rupert at neontribe.co.uk
Wed Nov 29 07:28:41 EST 2006

Raphael Ritz wrote:

> Well, there are the "officials" like:
>
>     http://unicode.org
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode
>
> but you want probably something more like
>
>     http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html
>
> and for Python in particular I found
>
>     http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/unicode

Those are great pointers, thanks, but I still can't understand why
zope.app.mail's MailDir functions want to encode the message using the
'ascii' encoding, nor does there seem to be any way to suggest a
different encoding to the mail system.

How is it possible to send emails containing non-ascii encodings from
zope? Is there a problem with the python smtplib which is forcing this
behaviour? (Or do I still not get it...?)

Thanks for your help,

Rupert