[Zope3-Users] Zope 3.3.0 - Adding Utilities to Content Space

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Oct 9 04:05:26 EDT 2006

Baiju M wrote:
> On 9/28/06, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:

>> space).
>> >
>> > You can see it like this: The difference between a folder and a site
>> > has lessened.
>> > Folders are no more or less content space than sites. Any thing you
>> > can browse too is content. ;-)
>>
>> No, Lennart, this is wrong. A site is still very much a site (ISite
>> determines "site-ness", nothing else). They're still regular folders
>> that contain content. The only difference between sites and folders is
>> that sites are a palce where you can make local component registrations.
>> This is still the same in Zope 3.3, only the constraint *where* these
>> components live has changed.
>
> So, the concept of 'site' is part of component architecture
> and not specific to application server?

It is specific to the application server. The Component Architecture
only knows IComponentRegistry + IComponentLookup = IComponents.

> Then, can we move up zope.app.component.interfaces.ISite to
> zope.component.interfaces.ISite or any other place?

Perhaps zope.site. Jim recently suggested that perhaps we make zope.app
a namespace package in which case zope.app.component could perhaps be
distributed individually. Then zope.location would only depend on
zope.app.component, not all of zope.app.

> If we can do like this, the zope.location's dependency on
> zope.app can be removed.

Yes.