[Zope3-Users] Zope 3.3.0 - Adding Utilities to Content Space

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Oct 9 06:57:30 EDT 2006

Baiju M wrote:
> On 10/9/06, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
>> > Then, can we move up zope.app.component.interfaces.ISite to
>> > zope.component.interfaces.ISite or any other place?
>>
>> Perhaps zope.site.
>
> I just tried this in my checkout, it only took 30 minutes.

That's nice. Note that zope.site should perhaps also contain more stuff,
such as the whole sitemanager-in-a-thread-local stuff, and possibly a
local site manager implementation that can be used in Zope 2 and 3 (much
of what LocalSiteManager does currently).

So, in the end, zope.site would more or less contain what
zope.app.component currently contains. The move might not be worth it.

> All tests passed except src/zope/app/component/tests/test_registration.py
> which make use src/zope/app/component/tests/gen3.fs
> How can I regenerate this file ?

Dunno. Perhaps you should write another evolvement script?

> The patch against current trunk is here:
> http://zissue.berlios.de/z3/zope-site.diff
>
> Now I wonder whether I should go for a formal proposal.
> Any chance to get +1

Dunno, try it :). Though I would suggest bringing up this whole issue on
zope3-dev at zope.org. We oughta discuss the whole
package-dependency-and-move-around issue sooner or later anyways.

>> Jim recently suggested that perhaps we make zope.app
>> a namespace package in which case zope.app.component could perhaps be
>> distributed individually. Then zope.location would only depend on
>> zope.app.component, not all of zope.app.
>
> This is required for complete eggification of Zope 3.

Not really. It would just make things easier to reuse. Zope 3 could
easily be eggified as it is, zope.app would probably just have to be a
big monolithic egg.

For smaller and more reusable eggs, it looks like we have the following
two scenarios:

a) we continue to move reusable stuff out of zope.app

OR

b) we dig through zope.app and make the reusable stuff less dependent on
the rest of zope.app. Then, those things can become their own eggs,
after having made zope.app a namespace package.

Philipp