[Zope3-Users] z3c.zrtresource or zc.resourcelibrary

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Tue Oct 31 20:39:08 EST 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Jeff Shell wrote:

> On 10/24/06, Gary Poster <gary at zope.com> wrote:
>> It might be nice to have zc.resourcelibrary be able to somehow serve
>> z3c.zrtresource files too...it doesn't right now.  FWIW, right now in
>> lieu of zrtresource I just use <script ... tal:content="string:
>> /* ... JS that specifies dynamic variables and calls ... */
>> "></script>.  Simple, and encourages delineation between library and
>> usage; but a bit hacky, and unfriendly to designers.
>
> I do a lot inline in my Python code, using our nevow.Stan inspired tag
> generation system and little bits and pieces I threw together to ease
> in generating short bits of JS from within Python. In particular,
> marshalling of basic Python structures to Javascript using a modified
> `jsonencode` module from the `simplejson` package.

What are the modifications?  The things you list below all sound like
normal simplejson stuff.

> Among other things, it lets me use normal Python dictionaries,
> strings, lists, numbers, etc, for use in generating code. `jsonencode`
> ensures that everything is escaped properly. It gets to be handy to
> build on, especially when wanting to generate a Javascript call and
> supply it with a big list of generated dictionaries.
>
>> Other JS-related bits to know about (you'll have to do your own
>> reading sometime :-): http://zif.hill-street.net/headincludes (WSGI
>> variation on resourcelibrary), http://zif.hill-street.net/gzipper/
>> (WSGI, gzips all output for smaller browser page sizes), http://
>> zif.hill-street.net/jsmin/ (WSGI, compresses JS for smaller browser
>> page sizes), and http://svn.zope.org/z3c.javascript/
>> (resourcelibrary-
>> aware collection of mochikit, dojo, et al).
>
> Ah, the real reason for my response here: how does one use third party
> WSGI "Middleware" with Zope?

zope.paste, maybe (http://svn.zope.org/zope.paste/)?  I think that's
what Jim Washington has used.

> Alternately, does anyone have any
> experience running Zope in another WSGI supporting server?
>
> There are quite a few things out there in WSGI land that I'm
> interested in, but I've never quite understood how they work together
> on their own and/or with big systems like Zope.
>
> By the way - I've had some issues with the dependency tracking in
> zc.resourcelibrary. Is there a tracker where I can post said issues?
> (if I can remember and reconstruct them, that is)

Yeah, the dependency code was pretty badly broken until Marius
Gedminas fixed it within the past week or two.  Try it again.

Gary