[Zope3-Users] Re: crud/read example?

Robert Hicks sigzero at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 19:58:56 EDT 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Robert Hicks wrote:
>> While the ZODB looks like a great example my question should have been:
>>
>> "I am using Oracle at work
>
> Does this imply you *need* or *want* to use it for a web application? If
> you don't have to, consider alternatives such as Zope's object store
> (ZODB).

That would be subjective I guess. I would *want* to use Oracle since we
have an enterprise license for it and that is probably the best way to
store the data for posterity. I guess I can use the ZODB and then if I
ever have to leave the project or something I could just write a
conversion script.

>> and I am looking into using Z3 as the solution
>
> Solution to what?
>
>> but I was wondering if there was an example of creating a CRUD
>> (Create, Read, Update, Delete) application that is prevelant in
>> Turbogears, Django and the like.
>
> Well, most of the time we don't think in terms of CRUD, even though we
> might be doing it.

Ah, well I guess I will have to "unlearn what I have learned".  : )

> Zope is about objects. Where these objects come from doesnt' really
> matter to Zope. They can come from Zope's object store, they can also
> come from a relational database. Doesn't matter. In Zope you create
> objects, you modify them and you display them.
>
>> The example they use is a wiki application where the add, modify and
>> delete simple wiki entries."
>
> There's a similar example for Zope 3:
> http://worldcookery.com/files/jeffshell-todo/
>
> Philipp