[Zope3-Users] Zope 3 Distilled book update 3

+lupa+ lupa at zurven.com
Wed Sep 6 10:19:01 EDT 2006

One way is to use the US Patent and Trademark website search.  Here is a
link to a search for Addison-Wesley in ALL fields.... there is no mention
of "distilled" being registered as a word mark (not trademark, those are
for logos and such).

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=ntm86k.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=Addison-Wesley&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA2%24ALL&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

Or just go to the USPTO home:  http://www.uspto.gov/   and click on
Trademarks and then Search.

It looks to me like using Distilled is fine here.  If a lawyerly letter
comes your way asking you to cease and desist someday, write back saying
"Oh, I'm so sorry, but if you can please refer me to the serial number and
registration number for your U.S. word mark registration with which my use
of "Zope 3 Distilled" is in conflict, so that I can refer this to my
attorneys, I would be ever so grateful.  However I cannot possibly take any
action based solely on your kind letter alone.  I look forward to hearing
from you again.   XOX, Baiju."

IANAL,
+lupa+