[Zope3-Users] Re: NTLM credential plugin

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Sep 13 09:37:10 EDT 2006

Gary Poster wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2006, at 2:30 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>> Simon Hang wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>  I'm thinging to write a NTLM credential plugin for zope3. But as I
>>> know, ntlm use 4-way handshake procedure, that means it needs two
>>> round-trips between server(zope3) and client(browser).
>>>  When I look in the credential plugins, it has challenge mothed. But
>>> seems it is only design for 1 round-trip protocol. It can issue one
>>> challenge, and return to parent script.
>>
>> I don't see how the PAU only allows one "round-trip".
>
> AIUI (I just looked up NTLM last night out of curiosity: see
> http://www.innovation.ch/personal/ronald/ntlm.html), the problem is that
> the 4 way handshake has to happen *within a single connection*.

Ack. Ok, I didn't know that. Frankly, I personally don't care much about
NTLM anyways...

> Apparently MS abuses HTTP to perform this.  Implementing it in pluggable
> auth made me scratch my head a bit, so I didn't reply.  You would need
> to slurp the request, then push back to the response, then slurp the
> same request again, then push back to the response, then slurp one more
> time, and finally reply with the real request.  Describing the problem
> to Benji, he mentioned WSGI--that does seem like the only way I can
> imagine this working, and that would be tricky enough, especially if you
> needed to reach into Zope for the managed credentials.  Once the WSGI
> plugin did its magic, it would need to put something in the WSGI request
> that a pluggable auth plugin was willing to accept as authentication.
>
> On the bright side, if you did this with WSGI you might be able to offer
> this as a generic Python WSGI NTLM tool that required only minimal
> integration with the back end app server.

Yes, WSGI definitely sounds like a good place to put this then. Perhaps
the WSGI middleware could "fake" a client that uses a more standard
authentication system (e.g. Basic Auth) to the WSGI application, that
way it'd be transparent to the WSGI application. Not sure if that's
possible with NTLM, though.