[Zope3-Users] Performace production with squid

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Fri Apr 6 23:54:58 EDT 2007

Hi. I guess I have pretty much always used to putting apache and zope
together. Lately, I am trying to learn a bit more about squid.
Particularly how squid, apache2 and zope3 can play together to create a
high performance site. It's a big topic I realize, but I am hoping
especially on the squid side, that some folks in the know may share some
tips on what their basic working setup looks like - and perhaps provide
a starting point configuration for squid. I know that the plone folks
with cachefu are seeing about a 10x speedup using cachefu alone and 50x
with cachefu plus squid - definitely impressive.

I realize this is one of these topics that could probably be discussed
elsewhere but this is really about getting performance out of a z3 site
- something that is likely to be of interest to others besides myself I
hope.

To that end, I found a couple of good articles on this at tomster.org
first of all advocating some core decisions on a caching restrictions

<snip>
In order to achieve effective caching, that's also easy to implement
we've imposed the following restrictions:

     * Only public (i.e. anonymously viewable) content will be cached
     * All authenticated traffic will be encrypted (good idea, anyway!)
     * All anonymous traffic will be unencrypted (not ideal, but that's
why it's called a compromise)
     * No dynamic content on the public pages.

</snip>

then paying particular attention to the construction of cacheable
objects as described in the article.

http://tomster.org/blog/archive/2004/10/30/making-plone-cacheable/

Another interesting article:

http://tomster.org/blog/archive/2006/10/29/proposal-for-a-zope3-based-caching-strategy

So clearly, I am seeking the performance magic of squid with some
guidance on a starting configuration but also there is much about
fundamental decisions in how you are constructing views and objects that
are important to effective caching. Many thanks.

Regards
David