[Zope3-Users] Infrastructure Requirements?

Doyon, Jean-Francois jdoyon at NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Feb 16 16:51:20 EST 2007

(From my Zope 2 experience, though it should be relevant here).

Building an HA architecture for Zope is pretty much like anything else
... There's very little that's Zope specific.

Minimum:

- 8 boxes: 2 web, 2 app, 2 storage, 2 load balancers
- On the web boxes run Apache with mod_rewrite to get you to the Zope
instance(s) running on the app layer machines
- Use ZEO w/ ZRS on the storage side.  There are ways without ZRS
probably, look at the Disk Replication Block Device (DRBD) project.

I still bother to try and get single CPU machines, because of the whole
Python GIL vs. Thread issue, though newer linuxes have CPU affinity.

How you setup the load-blanacing will depend on a whole lot of factors,
notably what software we use, and is beyond this list (Besides I don't
do that bit, our "infrastructure" guys do that for me).

We've head great success with that setup (3 app servers however) ...
Vastly improved perfromance and availability.

J.F.