[Zope3-Users] zc.buildout and unreleased eggs in svn

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Jan 28 15:24:25 EST 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hi,

I'd rather discuss questions like this on the distutils-sig list.

> easy_install lets me specify an egg from svn, e.g.:
>
>  $ easy_install
> http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/ZopeSkel/trunk#egg=ZopeSkel-dev

Hm, interesting.  I thought I had seen something like that, but I've
never been able to find documentation for it.  Do you know where this
is documented?  Does this example actually work?

> I have a zc.buildout recipie that specifies a number of eggs that should
> always be fetched from svn.

I wonder what that should mean.

 > These are not (yet) in the cheeseshop.
>
> Is there some way of specifying such eggs, e.g.
>
> [buildout]
> parts = ...
>
> eggs =
>   http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/ZopeSkel/trunk#egg=ZopeSkel-dev
>
> Of course, that doesn't work :)
>
> I suppose this is somewhat similar to develop-eggs, but (as far as I
> know) these have to be in the src/ directory, and can't be fetched from
> svn and kept up to date automatically. We currently do this with svn
> externals to fetch them into src/ but I'd like to be able to distribute
> a standalone buildout.cfg that could get these eggs.

I agree that something like this would be useful.  I would like to
see the semantics spelled out.  For example, I agree that this should
lead to a develop egg.  What version should it have? Should that
be determined by the remote setup.py file?  Is the project you point
to required to have a setup.py file?  If so, then why specify a
project name after the #.

Jim