[Zope3-Users] z3c.form - Idea for subforms

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Thu Jul 5 15:18:44 EDT 2007

Hi,
After playing around with subforms, I think some parts could be more implicit.
What I don't like so much is that there's quite some boilerplate code which
is not easily understandable for a newbie, moreover the explicit code is also
hard to understand (at least for me) unless one does have a decent insight
into the z3c.form package.

I have some ideas which could perhaps simplify subforms - however, I don't
know if they work or break some key concepts:

1) Create seperate classes for "form within form" and "logical units" for each
Add/Edit/Display, e.g.:

AddFormInForm / EditFormInForm / DisplayFormInForm
AddSubForm / EditSubForm / DisplaySubForm

I think this would provide a better understanding, as one can look at a class
and immediately understand what they are ment for. Moreover various
boilerplate code could be saved, e.g. like this in case of a AddSubForm:

    def updateWidgets(self):
        self.widgets = getMultiAdapter(
            (self, self.request, self.getContent()), IWidgets)
        self.widgets.ignoreContext = True
        self.widgets.update()

2) Handling the creation / update of the subform in the update() method of the
parent form is too explicit, I think. Another problem is the placing of the
form in the HTML widget, this does not seem to work with a generator
(tal:repeat), one has to insert them manually. In my case, where I don't want
the subform at the top/bottom but in between other widgets, I probably have
to write a lot of template code.

To my mind, it would be ideal, if Zope figures out all this for itself. I
think that the interface itself provides all necessary information that Zope
needs, e.g. in case of a field such as:

owner = Object(schema=IOwner)

Zope knows that there has to be a subform involved. My idea is to somehow
register subforms to specific Interfaces/fields, but I'm not sure if that is
possible. This could look something like this:

<z3c:subform
   for = "ICar",
   interface = "IOwner",
   class = ".browser.OwnerForm"
   layer = "..."
   />

In this case the update function would query for an appropriate adapter for
the subform, moreover these subforms could also possibly be rendered just
like any other widget, therefore no specific templates are needed.

3) I think SubForms should look/behave very similar to other forms, therefore
it would be optimal if one could simply have a create() method in an
AddSubForm where the object is created. This method would then be
automatically be called by the parent form and the object would be stored in
the object attribute.

What do you think?

Best Regards,
Hermann

x1 at aon.at
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7