[Zope3-Users] Re: Using svn checkout with zc packages

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Jul 29 15:39:57 EDT 2007

On 29 Jul 2007, at 21:06 , Florian Lindner wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2007 schrieb Philipp von Weitershausen:
>> Florian Lindner wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I use a Zope3 svn checkout for developement. What is the best way
>>> to make
>>> this working with the zc packages? I don't want to easy_install the
>>> entire Zope checkout but I also want my code to work with
>>> easy_install'ed
>>> versions of these packages. (don't want to change import
>>> statements and
>>> so on...) My favorite way would be to just do a svn checkout of
>>> the zc
>>> packages too but it seems to me that it won't work this way (or am I
>>> missing something?)
>>
>> Of course you can get a checkout of any package you wish from
>> svn.zope.org, including the zc.* packages. However, they'll likely
>> have
>> dependencies which you will have to resolve as well. Some might also
>> define entry points which means they really want to be installed
>> as eggs.
>>
>> Why do you use checkouts? Do you actually change the packages while
>> you're developing with them?
>>
>> Have you looked at zc.buildout? Checkout the tutorial [1]. Also,
>> pretty
>> much any zope.* or zc.* package's sandbox is set up using buildout
>> these
>> days, providing you with lots of examples.
>
> I'm fine with easy_install for installing Zope3 and the z3c
> packages but at
> this time I don't want to use it for my own projects.
> But when I install Zope3 (for example by easy_install
> zope.component) I don't
> find any mkzopeinstance. I know about zopeproject but that creates
> an egg
> what I don't want. How can I get mkzopeinstance with easy_install?
> I haven't
> found anything in PyPi.

It seems that you you want to install Zope 3 from eggs but don't want
your own projects to be eggs (hence you reject zopeproject). I don't
quite see the point of that reasoning. The whole idea of Zope being
available in egg form is that we can use egg machinery (deployment,
dependency management, etc.) for your own projects.

Anyway, mkzopeinstance isn't available when you install Zope 3 from
eggs because it's not egg-aware. It's completely geared towards the
full tree installation (from tarball or checkout). And frankly, as I
pointed out in the paragraph above, it doesn't make that much sense
in an egg-centric world anyway. I suggest zopeproject or the
zc.buildout recipes from zc.zope3recipes as alternatives.

P.S.: I can't recommend easy_install because that will install eggs
into the global site-packages location (which is rarely a good idea
when you're deploying Zope). Unless of course you use workingenv or
virtual python.