[Zope3-Users] Re: Using svn checkout with zc packages

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Jul 30 11:19:39 EDT 2007

On Monday 30 July 2007 09:59, Jeff Shell wrote:
> Last time I checked, which I admit has been a while, buildout didn't
> provide any examples of how to transition into buildout style
> development.

I agree we are totally lacking  At the one end we push hard for people to use
eggs -- even make the Zope 3 trunk checkout totally useless -- and on the
other hand we are providing zero documentation on how to get started.

The common answer you will get is: Look at all the SVN packages, there are
many examples. I think this is a horrible thing to say. Unfortunately there
is a big push behind using egg-based development without taking care that all
bases are covered. I think this is because most development is driven by
customer requirements these days and not by the "academic purity" (as people
called it) with which we started developing Zope 3. I guess this is a good
and a bad thing.

Here are some documents that should get you started (in order I would look at
them):

- zc.buildout presentation slides:
    http://svn.zope.org/zc.buildout/trunk/doc/tutorial.txt?rev=76281&view=auto

- z3c.formdemo as an example of a small egg-based application:
    http://svn.zope.org/z3c.formdemo/trunk/?rev=76281

- PEAK setuptools:
    http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools

I hope this helps!