[Zope3-Users] Calling a view in a doc test

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Tue Jun 5 12:18:12 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 04:49:37PM +0200, Florian Lindner wrote:
> Am Montag, 4. Juni 2007 schrieb Marius Gedminas:
> > On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 03:14:16PM +0200, Florian Lindner wrote:
> > > in a doctest I have an object which has a view registered.
> > > I want to call this view and test for the XML it returns.
> > > How can I call the view so that it is being rendered, just like called by
> > > a browser?

> I have thes setup and tearDown methods:
>
> import unittest
> import zope.testing.module
> from zope.testing import doctest
> from zope.component import testing, eventtesting
> from zope.app.container.tests.placelesssetup import PlacelessSetup
> from zope.app.testing import setup
>
> container_setup = PlacelessSetup()
>
> def blogSetUp(test):
>     zope.testing.module.setUp(test, 'Blog.doctest')
>     testing.setUp(test)
>     eventtesting.setUp(test)
>     container_setup.setUp()
>     setup.placelessSetUp()
>     setup.setUpTraversal()
>
> def blogTearDown(test):
>     setup.placelessTearDown()
>     zope.testing.module.tearDown(test)
>     testing.tearDown(test)

Oh, my, this feels like cargo-cult programming[1] to me.  For example,
zope.app.testing.setup.placelessSetUp() calls
zope.app.container.tests.placelesssetup.PlacelessSetup().setUp() for you
already, you don't need to do it twice.  In fact the
CleanUp().cleanUp(), which is the first thing that placelessSetUp()
calls, undoes all the changfes made by container_setup.setUp().  The
same applies to zope.component.testing.setUp.

  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming

I would suggest that you remove everything and keep just

  def blogSetUp(test):
      setup.placelessSetUp()
      setup.setUpTraversal()

  def blogTearDown(test):
      setup.placelessTearDown()

> and this is my README.txt containing the test:
>
>     >>> context = MyBlog

You may want to actually create the object:

      >>> context = MyBlog()

and sometimes it is a good idea to put it into the containment
hierarchy, if you're going to look up things like absolute URLs:

      >>> from zope.app.folder import rootFolder
      >>> root = rootFolder()
      >>> root['my_blog'] = context

>     >>> from zope.publisher.browser import TestRequest
>     >>> from browser.views import RSSFeed
>     >>> request = TestRequest()
>     >>> view = RSSFeed(context, request)
>     >>> print view()
>
> Since my code includes a call to absoluteURL I have added your setup and
> tearDown methods. But there is still an error:
>
>       File "/home/florian/Zope3/src/zope/traversing/browser/absoluteurl.py",
> line 34, in absoluteURL
>         return zope.component.getMultiAdapter((ob, request), IAbsoluteURL)()
>       File "/home/florian/Zope3/src/zope/traversing/browser/absoluteurl.py",
> line 55, in __str__
>         raise TypeError(_insufficientContext)
>     TypeError: There isn't enough context to get URL information. This is
> probably due to a bug in setting up location information.
>

> Do you know what's missing here?

See above.

> Thanks,
>
> Florian
>
> BTW: What would be the name of the MyViewClass if the page would be registered
> without a class set?

There isn't one.  When you use the <browser:page> directive, the ZCML
maaagick creates a new class (with a funky name) at runtime, with extra
attributes and methods.  You cannot access that class from a unit test,
because it doesn't exist in your source code.

My suggestion is "don't do that".  If you want a view with just a
template, and you want to render it in a unit test, define a view class

   class MyTrivialViewClass(BrowserPage):
       __call__ = ViewPageTemplateFile('mytemplate.pt')

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
You have moved the mouse. NT must be restarted for the changes to take effect.