[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-Users] z3c.form 1.0.0 released!

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Wed May 30 15:07:53 EDT 2007

Hi Stephan. Thanks for your reply. For #2, the following excerpt from
django's documentation located here:

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial02/

<snip>
And speaking of forms with dozens of fields, you might want to split the
form up into fieldsets:

class Admin:
     fields = (
         (None, {'fields': ('question',)}),
         ('Date information', {'fields': ('pub_date',)}),
     )

The first element of each tuple in fields is the title of the fieldset.
Here’s what our form looks like now:

... image

You can assign arbitrary HTML classes to each fieldset. Django provides
a "collapse" class that displays a particular fieldset initially
collapsed. This is useful when you have a long form that contains a
number of fields that aren’t commonly used:

class Admin:
     fields = (
         (None, {'fields': ('question',)}),
         ('Date information', {'fields': ('pub_date',), 'classes':
'collapse'}),
     )

... image

</snip>

I haven't thought of the best way of implementing this at this point
since I am just coming up to speed with your package.

I very much like the suggestion of defining groups on the field manager.
What you are suggesting is intuitive. In the django code, the group can
be named, which provides an optional title for the field set for the
form. Additionally, a class is passed in so you can use it for with some
js to be initially collapsed when rendered. Similarly, these optional
parameters would be useful to pass on.

values() seems logical for iterating over groups for the widget manager.
I guess some thought on how the group (field set) itself may be
integrated into a widget so a bit of js can be used to collapse and
expand it would be the otherpart.

Unrelated to this is another small addition for the demo. This is to
show a form with a couple of additional useful form buttons (another
nice feature integrated in django forms)

Save and add another
Save and continue editing

Regards,
David